The following resources are helpful in learning more about Montessori.
There are many books written by Dr. Maria Montessori, available through local libraries and bookstores.
- Advanced Montessori Method
- Discovery of the Child
- Dr. Montessori’s Own Handbook
- Education and Peace
- Education for a New World
- From Childhood to Adolescence
- Montessori: a Modern Approach
- Montessori Method
- The Absorbent Mind: A Classic in Education and Child Development for Educators
- Secret of Childhood
- What You Should Know About Your Child
Books by Paula Polk Lillard are highly recommended for her knowledge of Montessori and her accessible style of writing. Montessori Today is an excellent place to start.
- Montessori in the Classroom: a Teacher’s Account of How Children Really Learn
- Montessori From the Start: the Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
(Paula Polk Lillard and Lynn Lillard Jessen)
- Montessori Today: a Comprehensive Approach to Education from Birth to Adulthood
Other interesting books include:
- Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius, Angeline Stoll Lillard
- Maria Montessori Her Life and Work, E. Standing and Lee Havis
Activities and Programs That Improve Children’s Executive Functions , Adele Diamond, Current Directions in Psychological Science. 21(5) 335-341, 2012. 667 PDF KB.
What Happens After Montessori? What Parents, Students, and Teachers Believe about the Success of Former Montessori Elementary Students in Junior High School, Peter Hanson, Montessori Life, Vol. 10 No. 4, pages 45-47, Fall 1998. PDF 136 KB.
A Comparison of Montessori and Traditional Middle Schools: Motivation, Quality of Experience, and Social Content, Kevin Rathunde, The NAMTA Journal, Vol. 28, No. 3, Summer 2003. PDF 152 KB.
Outcomes: A Longitudinal Study of the Experience in the Milwaukee Public Schools for Students in a Montessori Program, Kathryn Rindskopf Dohrmann, Association Montessori International/USA. PDF 196 KB.
Canadian Council of Montessori Administrators
Association Montessori Internationale (AMI), founded in 1929 by Maria Montessori
American Montessori Society (AMS)
Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE)